Wendy Adams, CPA
Wendy Adams and her husband, Chris, live in Homewood and enjoy traveling and spending time with friends.
Wendy graduated from the University of Alabama in 1984 with a Bachelors of Science in Business Administration. She obtained her Accounting Equivalency from the University of Alabama at Birmingham in 1987.
Wendy has devoted almost her entire career to the public accounting field working for local CPA firms. During that time she has developed expertise primarily in the areas of individual and business taxation. She also specialized in benefits administration for 5 years and estate and trust taxation for 3 years.
She joined Barfield, Murphy, Shank & Smith in 2004. Wendy is a Senior Manager in the tax area and focuses on planning and compliance for large, medium and small businesses whether they are well established or in the start-up phase. She also works extensively with individual clients on tax planning and compliance.
Wendy is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the Alabama Society of CPA's and the American Society of Women Accountants where she served as president of the Birmingham Chapter for the 1998-1999 fiscal year.
In her own words...
- Why did you choose public accounting for your career?
- My mother had a tax preparation business so I learned about taxes early on. I chose to become a CPA in order to further my career as a tax specialist for business and individuals. I recognized early on that providing quality service to clients provided much career satisfaction.
- What do you enjoy most about being a trusted advisor to clients?
- Establishing good relationships, learning about the client's business and why they do their chosen work. I want my clients to focus on what they need to grow and run their business and leave the worry of tax compliance to me. I’m always happy when I can help with a problem or provide a solution.
- Why did you choose to work at BMSS?
- My previous work experience was in much smaller firms. I felt either stretched too thin or underutilized. BMSS seemed like a place that would offer challenging work that would enable me to grow within my area of specialization. I also welcomed the opportunity to work with larger clients and more professional staff. Flexibility and balance with personal life was also important. My career with BMSS has enabled me to achieve this.