BEWARE OF SCAMS: Identity Theft Protection & Phishing Reporting from IRS
BEWARE OF FAKE IRS EMAILS AND PHONE CALLS
Tax scams that use email and phone calls that appear to come from the IRS are common these days. These scams often use the IRS name and logo or fake websites that look real.
Scammers often send an email or call to lure victims to give up their personal and financial information. The crooks then use this information to commit identity theft or steal your money. Some call their victims to demand payment on a pre-paid debit card or by wire transfer. But the IRS will not initiate contact with you to ask for this information by phone or email.
A new scam the IRS has noticed:
Fake emails that include the following message: “Your reported 2013 income is flagged for review due to a document processing error. Your case has been forwarded to the Taxpayer Advocate Service for resolution assistance. To avoid delays processing your 2013 filing contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service for resolution assistance.”
Recipients are directed to click on links that supposedly provide information about the "advocate" assigned to their case or that let them "review reported income." The links lead to web pages that solicit personal information.
If you get this type of ‘phishing’ email:
- Don’t reply to the message.
- Don’t open any attachments or click on any links. They may have malicious code that will infect your computer.
- Don’t give out your personal or financial information.
- Forward the email to email@example.com. Then delete it.
- Contact your BMSS CPA.
If you get an unexpected phone call from someone claiming to be from the IRS:
- Ask for a call back number and an employee badge number.
- If you think you may owe taxes, call the IRS at 800-829-1040. IRS employees can help you.
- If you don’t owe taxes or have no reason to think that you do, call the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration at 800-366-4484 to report the incident.
- You should also report it to the Federal Trade Commission by using their “FTC Complaint Assistant” on FTC.gov. Please add "IRS Telephone Scam" to the comments of your complaint.
- Contact your BMSS CPA.
BMSS sister company, Abacus IT Solutions, can work with you to establish firewalls for your office computers and provide solutions such as network monitoring.
Cherion Sibley and her husband, Barry, have two sons - Cole and Luke. They live in the Mt. Laurel Community and are members at Church of the Highlands. ... read more
“Life is a reflection of a choice or choices made – Barfield Murphy is definitely a company that has found the formula for making the right choices to be successful and provide opportunities for their employees to enjoy the ride. Every single thing we do makes a difference – what a difference Barfield Murphy is making for their company, their employees, their clients and those who are blessed to be touched by them.”